As the second trimester comes to an end, your baby is making his presence known – and your maternal instincts may be emerging as well. Start the countdown – labor day is just months away.
CHANGES YOU MAY EXPERIENCE
- Your uterus is now the size of a basketball resting above your belly button. The skin on the stomach may feel itchy as it stretches around your growing womb.
- Complaints of mid-pregnancy, including bleeding gums, constipation, heartburn and leg cramps, may intensify at this time.
- You’ll gain about a pound a week at this time. The increased weight may result in varicose veins or hemorrhoids. Talk to your doctor if you notice protruding veins in any area.
- You may become tired more easily – no wonder! Listen to your body and rest as necessary.
HOW YOUR BABY IS DEVELOPING
Your baby is about 10 inches long and weighs over a pound. You’ll be aware of baby’s movements as he or she stretches and hiccups. Baby’s eyes now open and close, vocal cords are functioning, and “finishing touches” like eyebrows have formed.
WHAT TO EXPECT AT YOUR PRENATAL VISIT THIS MONTH
- Monitoring will continue. Pregnancy-induced blood pressure problems (hypertension) often start at this time, so make your caregiver aware of problems with swollen ankles, headaches or nosebleeds.
- Most women are tested for gestational diabetes at this time.
Hunterdon Healthcare offers an array of educational events, including childbirth, healthy living and fitness classes.LEARN MORE
Health and Wellness Centers
Where health and fitness meet to help you stay healthy at every age.LEARN MORE
Health Resource Library
Hunterdon Healthcare is pleased to provide our website visitors with this comprehensive Health Resource Library.LEARN MORE