Hormones settle, morning sickness fades, and you start to feel normal again. You also start showing – and feeling like a true mom-to-be. Welcome to the joys of the second trimester!
CHANGES YOU MAY EXPERIENCE
- By the end of this month, you may feel “quickening” – the first flutters of baby movement often described as “butterflies” or “bubbles.”
- You may find yourself feeling better. Nausea usually subsides and energy increases.
- Hormones stabilize, and you feel less moody. Your sex drive may also return. Enjoy this time!
- You may develop heartburn as your uterus rises in the abdomen.
- Outward signs of pregnancy may begin to appear.
- Most moms-to-be start shopping for their pregnancy wardrobe at this point.
- Now is a good time to sign up for prenatal classes.
HOW YOUR BABY IS DEVELOPING
Your baby is five to six inches long and weighs up to four ounces. Baby’s face and heart are fully formed at this point, though the lungs are still developing. Baby’s eyes will open during this month and he or she will begin feeling the urge to suck.
WHAT TO EXPECT AT YOUR PRENATAL VISIT THIS MONTH
- Much like last month’s visit, monitoring of fetal heartbeat and size, as well as your own weight and blood pressure, will continue.
- As it is every month, your urine will be tested for sugar and protein.
- An ultrasound is usually performed to check for fetal age.
- The alpha-fetoprotein (AFP) test for neural defects is given in week 16.
- Amniocentesis test for abnormal chromosomes may be offered.
Hunterdon Healthcare offers an array of educational events, including childbirth, healthy living and fitness classes.LEARN MORE
Health and Wellness Centers
Where health and fitness meet to help you stay healthy at every age.LEARN MORE
Primary and Specialty Care Services
The Hunterdon Healthcare network consists of over 30 primary and specialty practices.LEARN MORE