Babies grow rapidly when you’re eight months pregnant – and you may be tiring of pregnancy and anxious for baby’s arrival. Enjoy setting up a nursery as the countdown begins!
CHANGES YOU MAY EXPERIENCE
- You’ll continue to gain about a pound a week.
- You may feel discomfort as the baby pushes on the rib cage or organs.
- Pelvic pressure may increase as the baby drops into this area.
- Indigestion and heartburn may become more intense.
- Skin continues stretching and stretch marks may appear.
- Braxton Hicks contractions become more regular.
HOW YOUR BABY IS DEVELOPING
Your baby’s brainwaves resemble those of a newborn by this time. He may be a foot (12 inches) or longer and weigh about five pounds. The lungs and brain are continuing to develop and other body systems are refining to be ready for living outside of you. Movements may slow as the baby fills more of the uterus and has less room to stretch. By the end of the month, most babies are head down and descending into the pelvic area.
WHAT TO EXPECT AT YOUR PRENATAL VISIT THIS MONTH
- Monitoring of your weight, urine, blood pressure and swelling will continue.
- Baby’s growth, heartbeat, size, and position will be checked.
- Some caregivers order a second ultrasound at this time to verify the baby’s size and position.
- Caregiver visits usually increase from bi-weekly to weekly starting at the 36th week.
Hunterdon Health offers an array of educational events and classes including maternity, healthy living, CPR, mental health and support groups.LEARN MORE
Health and Wellness Centers
Where health and fitness meet to help you stay healthy at every age.LEARN MORE
Primary and Specialty Care Services
The Hunterdon Health network consists of over 30 primary and specialty practices.LEARN MORE