Helping Patients and Families throughout Serious Illness
Palliative Care is specialized care that focuses on the whole person. It recognizes that people living with serious illness need expert symptom management, as well as spiritual and emotional support. Palliative care provides relief from the symptoms, pain, and stress of a serious illness, no matter what the diagnosis. It is appropriate at any age and at any stage in a serious illness and can be provided along with curative treatment. The goal is to improve the quality of life for both the patient and the family.
The Goals of Palliative Care
- Preventing and relieving suffering for anyone affected by serious illness.
- Helping patients and families with the psychological, social and spiritual concerns arising from serious illness.
- Ensuring that the medical care patients receive is in accord with their preferences and wishes.
What You Can Expect from Palliative Care
- Relief of distressing symptoms such as pain, shortness of breath, nausea, and fatigue.
- Help with stress and emotional distress.
- Improved ability to carry on with your daily life.
- Help in understanding your medical condition and your choices for medical care now and in the future.
- Support for family members.
Rachana J. Kothari, MDInternal Medicine
Larisa Golub, MDPrimary Care Physician
Katherine M. Fox, MDInternal Medicine
S. Shekar Chakravarthi, MDPrimary Care Physician
Susan M. Bauman, MDPrimary Care Physician
Hedy S. Sferra, DNP, NP-CAdvanced Practice Nurse
Mary Ann Balut, DNP, APNAdvanced Practice Nurse
Additional Staff & Specialists
Annalisa Traina, MSW, LCSWSocial Work Coordinator
Hunterdon Healthcare offers an array of educational events, including childbirth, healthy living and fitness classes.LEARN MORE
Health and Wellness Centers
Where health and fitness meet to help you stay healthy at every age.LEARN MORE
Health Resource Library
Hunterdon Healthcare is pleased to provide our website visitors with this comprehensive Health Resource Library.LEARN MORE