Ornish Mac ‘n Cheez Recipe
Serving Size: 1 cup
Prep: 10 min
Cook: 15 min
Ready: 25 min
This creamy “mac ‘n cheez” gets its savory, cheese-like flavor from a combination of nutritional yeast and white miso paste. Made from fermented soy beans (or less commonly, chickpeas), miso pastes can vary a great deal in strength and saltiness. We recommend using a mild, sweet white miso. If you’re unfamiliar with miso, start with half the amount called for in the recipe, then add more as needed. Penne, elbow macaroni, and fusilli (corkscrew) pastas all work well here. Try adding a dash of smoked paprika or a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes.
1 TABLESPOON arrowroot or cornstarch
1 TABLESPOON water
2 CUPS unsweetened soy milk
¼ CUP nutritional yeast plus more for garnish
¼ CUP white miso paste or white chickpea miso
2 TABLESPOONS tomato paste
2 TEASPOONS onion powder
1 TEASPOON dry mustard
ONE 8.8-OZ PACKAGE whole grain or gluten-free penne pasta, or preferred shape
4 CUPS broccoli florets (8 oz)
1/8 TEASPOON freshly ground pepper
Paprika or smoked paprika for garnish
1. Bring a large, heavy-bottomed pot of water to a boil.
2. In a small bowl, whisk arrowroot or cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water until dissolved.
3. In a small saucepan over medium heat, whisk together soy milk, nutritional yeast, white miso, tomato paste, onion powder, and dry mustard. Bring to a simmer.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low and whisk in arrowroot or cornstarch mixture. Cook, whisking frequently, until sauce thickens, 2–3 minutes. Cover and set aside to keep warm.
5. Cook pasta in pot of boiling water according to package instructions. Cook until pasta is cooked through but still firm to the bite (“al dente”).
6. While pasta is cooking, place a vegetable steamer basket in a saucepan and add water to just below bottom of steamer basket. Over medium heat, bring water to a boil. Add broccoli. Cover and steam until broccoli is just tender but still bright green, 4 to 5 minutes.
7. Drain pasta and broccoli and return to the empty pasta pot. Add the warm sauce and toss to coat. Garnish with a sprinkle of paprika. Serve with additional nutritional yeast.
Unsweetened soy milk (2 CUPS)
Nutritional yeast (¼ CUP)
White miso or chickpea miso (¼ CUP)
Dry mustard powder
Arrowroot or cornstarch
Whole-grain or gluten-free pasta (ONE 8.8-OZ BOX)
Broccoli (4 CUPS FLORETS, ½ LB)
For more Ornish recipes, visit the online Recipedia.
Hunterdon Healthcare offers an array of educational events, including childbirth, healthy living and fitness classes.LEARN MORE
Health and Wellness Centers
Where health and fitness meet to help you stay healthy at every age.LEARN MORE
Primary and Specialty Care Services
The Hunterdon Healthcare network consists of over 30 primary and specialty practices.LEARN MORE