Ornish Lentil Loaf Recipe
Serving Size: one 1 1/2 -in slice
Prep: 1 hr
Cook: 1 hr
Ready: 2 hr
Deliciously rich in fiber, thanks to a blend of brown rice, lentils, and vegetables, this easy meatless dish is a versatile comfort-food staple. Spicy Chipotle Ketchup gives it a delectable smoky-sweet glaze on top. Serve with Mushroom Gravy, a dollop of marinara sauce, or more chipotle ketchup.
1 CUP uncooked short grain brown rice
1 CUP uncooked French black or green lentils
8 OZ frozen spinach thawed
1 ½ CUPS onion diced
1 ½ CUPS carrots grated
1 TABLESPOON garlic pressed or minced
2 TABLESPOONS Bragg Liquid Aminos, divided
1 TABLESPOON fresh thyme, divided or 1 ½ teaspoons dried thyme, divided
1 TEASPOON dried oregano
1/2 TEASPOON freshly ground pepper, divided
1 CUP water, divided plus more as needed
Smoky Chipotle Ketchup (see description, above, for recipe link)
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Prepare rice and lentils according to package instructions. (The rice and lentils can be prepared up to two days ahead of time, and refrigerated until needed.)
2. Place thawed spinach in a colander in the sink or over a deep bowl. Using your hands, squeeze or press spinach vigorously to remove excess liquid. Continue to squeeze and press spinach until it is almost dry; excess liquid left in the spinach will make a soggy loaf. Once drained, you should have about ¾ cup of spinach. Set aside.
3. In a large saute pan over medium-low heat, sauté the onions, carrots, garlic, 1 tablespoon of the Bragg liquid aminos, 1 1/2 teaspoons of the fresh thyme, oregano, ¼ teaspoon of the pepper, and ½ cup of the water. Stirring frequently, saute until onions are translucent, 7–10 minutes.
4. In a large bowl, combine the cooked rice and the lentils with the onion mixture. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon liquid aminos, 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mix well.
5. Spoon half of the rice mixture (about 3 1/2 cups) into a food processor. Pulse, adding ½ cup water as needed, until mixture is a thick paste. Mix this back into the remaining lentil mixture. Add the spinach and stir well to combine.
6. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Form and tightly pack lentil mixture into a loaf 2 inches high and 9 inches long. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until it is lightly browned and crisped on the top. Remove from oven and spread ½ cup Smoky Chipotle Ketchup evenly on top. Let cook for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from oven. (If you have an instant-read or digital thermometer, the internal temperature should read 165–170ºF.)
7. Let loaf rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Short or medium-grain brown rice (1 CUP)
Green or black lentils (1 CUP)
Onion (1 MEDIUM)
Carrots (2 LARGE)
Garlic (8 CLOVES)
Bragg Liquid Aminos
Frozen spinach (8 OZ)
For more Ornish recipes, visit the online Recipedia.
Hunterdon Healthcare offers an array of educational events, including childbirth, healthy living and fitness classes.LEARN MORE
Health and Wellness Centers
Where health and fitness meet to help you stay healthy at every age.LEARN MORE
Primary and Specialty Care Services
The Hunterdon Healthcare network consists of over 30 primary and specialty practices.LEARN MORE