Ornish Cocoa Truffles Recipe
Serving Size: 1 truffle
Prep: 15 minutes
Ready: 15 min
Chocolate lovers, rejoice! Finally, a moist, fudgy, delicious truffle that’s good for you, too. Sweet, nutrient-dense medjool dates take the place of sugar here, while dark cocoa is rich in flavonoids (antioxidant compounds that help ward off inflammation and lower blood pressure) as well as in health-boosting minerals like iron and zinc. For a Mexican Truffle, add cinnamon and a pinch of cayenne. These can be made 2 to 3 days in advance and stored in the refrigerator until needed.
1 CUP FRESH pitted medjool dates firmly packed about 9 dates, or 6 oz
½ CUP unsweetened cocoa powder (suggested brand: Hershey or Green & Black 100% cacao powder)
1 ½ TEASPOONS vanilla extract
¼ TEASPOON fine sea salt
½ TEASPOON cinnamon (optional: for Mexican Truffles)
1/8 TEASPOON cayenne pepper (optional: for Mexican Truffle)
¼ CUP unsweetened cocoa powder (optional: for rolling)
¼ CUP turbinado (raw) sugar (optional: for rolling)
1. Place dates in a small bowl. Cover with hot water and let soak for 15 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
2. Using a food processor fitted with a metal blade, pulse dates several times to make a paste. Add cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt. To make Mexican Truffles, add cinnamon and cayenne. Pulse 3 or 4 times (mixture will seem dry).
3. Add 1 tablespoon warm water, and pulse several more times, adding another tablespoon of warm water if mixture still seems dry. Continue to pulse until mixture is smooth and forms a ball.
4. Remove truffle mixture from processor and transfer to a bowl.
5. Put ¼ cup cocoa powder or turbinado (raw) sugar in a shallow bowl. Using 1 tablespoon of truffle mixture for each ball, shape balls between the palms of your hands. (If mixture seems sticky, refrigerate until well chilled before rolling.) Roll each ball in cocoa powder or sugar after shaping. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
Medjool dates (6 OZ, 9 DATES)
Unsweetened cocoa powder (¾ CUP)
Turbinado (raw) sugar, optional (¼ CUP)
Cayenne pepper, optional
For more Ornish recipes, visit the online Recipedia.
Hunterdon Healthcare offers an array of educational events, including childbirth, healthy living and fitness classes.LEARN MORE
Health and Wellness Centers
Where health and fitness meet to help you stay healthy at every age.LEARN MORE
Health Resource Library
Hunterdon Healthcare is pleased to provide our website visitors with this comprehensive Health Resource Library.LEARN MORE