Ornish Carrot Cupcakes with Nonfat Maple Frosting Recipe
Serving Size: 1 cupcake
Prep: 30 min
Cook: 30–35 minutes
Ready: 1 hr 5 min
These cupcakes offer all the spicy-sweet pleasure of carrot cake, with no added fat and plenty of whole-grain fiber and plant-based nutrition. Nonfat cream cheese, whipped with maple syrup and vanilla, makes a deliciously creamy frosting. Like most nonfat baked goods, they are best eaten the day they are made.
Nonstick cooking spray
2 ¼ CUPS whole-wheat pastry flour
1/3 CUP brown sugar
2 TEASPOONS baking powder
1 TEASPOON powdered stevia
1 ½ TEASPOONS cinnamon
¾ TEASPOON fine sea salt
¼ TEASPOON nutmeg
1/8 TEASPOON ground cloves
1 TABLESPOON ground flax meal
1 TABLESPOON water
1 ½ CUPS carrot grated, 3 medium carrots
¾ CUP unsweetened almond milk
½ CUP unsweetened applesauce
2 TEASPOONS vanilla extract
ONE 8-OZ PACKAGE nonfat cream cheese at room temperature
1/3 CUP pure maple syrup
1 TEASPOON vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Lightly spray a muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray, or line cups with paper liners and lightly spray liners.
2. In a large bowl, mix together whole wheat pastry flour, brown sugar, baking powder, stevia, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and cloves.
3. In a medium bowl, mix flax meal with water. Let sit until water is absorbed, 1 to 2 minutes. Add carrots, almond milk, applesauce, and vanilla extract.
4. Stir the carrot mixture into the flour mixture. Mix well.
5. Spoon 1/4 cup batter into each muffin cup. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool on a rack. Place muffin pan on a rack and let cupcakes cool in the pan for 10 minutes, until cupcakes pull away slightly from the edges of the muffin cups. Remove cupcakes from pan and let cool completely on a rack. Cupcakes should be completely cool before frosting.
6. To make the frosting, in a small bowl, combine cream cheese, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Using a hand-held electric mixer, beat on high speed until smooth.
7. To frost cupcakes, spread a heaping tablespoon of frosting evenly across the top of each cupcake just before serving. These are best enjoyed the day they are made.
Whole wheat pastry flour (2 ¼ CUPS)
Brown sugar (1/3 CUP)
Ground flax meal
Carrots (3 MEDIUM)
Unsweetened almond milk (¾ CUP)
Unsweetened applesauce (½ CUP)
Pure vanilla extract
Nonfat cream cheese (1 8-OZ PACKAGE)
Pure maple syrup
Nonstick cooking spray
Paper liners (OPTIONAL)
For more Ornish recipes, visit the online Recipedia.
Hunterdon Healthcare offers an array of educational events, including childbirth, healthy living and fitness classes.LEARN MORE
Health and Wellness Centers
Where health and fitness meet to help you stay healthy at every age.LEARN MORE
Health Resource Library
Hunterdon Healthcare is pleased to provide our website visitors with this comprehensive Health Resource Library.LEARN MORE