Awards & Recognitions
Hunterdon Medical Center has received accreditation and national recognition that verifies our position as a leading provider of quality healthcare.
The administration and staff of Hunterdon Medical Center are extremely proud of the many awards the community hospital has earned. Each one is the recognition that Hunterdon Medical Center ranks within the top 10% of national and New Jersey hospitals in many performance indicators for quality healthcare.
Hunterdon Medical Center has achieved:
- Hunterdon Medical Center Earns an “A” Safety Grade from Leapfrog Group
- Commission on Cancer
- Primary Stroke Center Certification
- Women’s Choice Award
- National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers
- US News & World Report
- LGBTQ Health Care Equality Top Performer
- New Jersey Top Doctors
- Magnet™ Recognition Program
- NICHE Designation
- Hunterdon Happening List
- Accreditation by the Joint Commission for the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations
- Hunterdon Medical Center Awarded Platinum Award for “Outstanding Achievement”
- Hunterdon Medical Center Awarded the 2019 Silver Award in the New Jersey Antimicrobial Stewardship Recognition Program
- Wound Care Center Recognized with Two Awards for Excellence in Wound Healing
Hunterdon Medical Center Earns an “A” Safety Grade Three Times in a Row from Leapfrog Group
On April 30, 2020, December 14, 2020, and once again on April 30, 2021, Hunterdon Medical Center was honored with an “A” Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade by The Leapfrog Group, a Washington D.C.-based organization aiming to improve health care quality and safety for consumers and purchasers. In the five overall categories, Hunterdon Medical Center achieved Best Hospital Scores in four areas including Problems After Surgery, Practices to Prevent Errors, Safety Problems, and Doctors, Nurses & Hospital Staff. They achieved Above Average Scores in the area of Infections.
Commission on Cancer
The Commission on Cancer (CoC) awarded Hunterdon Medical Center’s, Hunterdon Regional Cancer Center the CoC’s 2017 Outstanding Achievement Award (OAA). Attaining the OAA demonstrates that our cancer program has met the requirements for all seven commendation-eligible CoC standards following our 2017 accreditation survey. (A CoC survey is performed every three years.) Hunterdon Regional Cancer Center is one of a select group of 16 U.S. accredited cancer programs to receive this national honor and the only Cancer Center in New Jersey to be awarded. There are more than 1,500 CoC-accredited cancer programs in the United States, and Hunterdon Regional Cancer Center is part of this elite group!
Primary Stroke Center Certification
In 2021, Hunterdon Medical Center earned The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval® and the American Stroke Association’s Heart-Check Mark for Primary Stroke Center Certification. Hunterdon Medical Center earned The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval® because the hospital meets and exceeds better outcomes for patients who come in experiencing a stroke. Achievement of this certification signifies that Hunterdon Medical Center provides the critical elements to achieve long-term success in improving outcomes.
Women’s Choice Award
In 2020, Hunterdon Medical Center was awarded the Women’s Choice Award for America’s Best Hospital in the categories of Breast Centers. The ‘America’s Best’ hospitals demonstrate exceptional ratings, providing the highest level of care and commitment to their patients’ health and well-being. This Award is the only designation that takes into consideration the preferences of women when selecting a hospital.
National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers
The National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC), a quality program of the American College of Surgeons (ACS) has granted Three-Year Accreditation to Hunterdon Healthcare’s Breast Care Program in Flemington, New Jersey. To achieve voluntary NAPBC accreditation, a breast center demonstrates compliance with the NAPBC standards that look at a center’s leadership, clinical services, research, community outreach, professional education, and quality improvement. Breast centers seeking NAPBC accreditation undergo a site visit every three years. As an NAPBC-accredited center, Hunterdon Healthcare is committed to maintaining levels of excellence in the delivery of comprehensive, patient-centered, multidisciplinary care resulting in high-quality care for patients with breast disease. Patients receiving care at an NAPBC-accredited center have access to information on clinical trials and new treatments, genetic counseling, and patient-centered services including psycho-social support, and a survivorship care plan that documents the care each patient receives and seeks to improve cancer survivor’s quality of life.
US News & World Report
Hunterdon Healthcare ranked among US News and World Report’s “Best Regional Hospitals” in New Jersey and the New York metro area for 2017-2018. We also received their seal of approval as a high-performing hospital for the treatment of COPD, Colon Cancer Surgery, and Heart Failure.
In their latest report dated August 2018, Hunterdon Healthcare ranked 10th regionally in New Jersey and was recognized 20th in the New York metro area. We also received their seal of approval as a high-performing hospital for the specialties: Adult Geriatrics and Nephrology (Kidney) Care and for the treatment of Heart Failure. US News and World Report is the nation’s most high-profile hospital rankings report.
Hunterdon Healthcare earns “LGBTQ Health Care Equality Top Performer” Designation in Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s Healthcare Equality Index
Hunterdon Healthcare received the “LGBTQ Health Care Equality Top Performer” designation from the Human Rights Campaign Foundation (HRC). The designation was awarded in the 13th edition of HRC’s Healthcare Equality Index (HEI), released on August 31, 2020. A record 765 health care facilities actively participated in the HEI 2020 survey. Of those included in the HEI, 193 earned an “LGBTQ Health Care Equality Top Performer” designation. Hunterdon Healthcare has recently added an LGBTQIA Nurse Navigator to provide services for the community and has always been dedicated to supporting inclusivity and diversity in the workplace.
New Jersey Top Doctors
Hunterdon Medical Center attracts some of the best doctors with training at the nation’s finest institutions and healthcare organizations. New Jersey Monthly, Jersey’s Best, and NJ Family magazines have recognized our “top docs” in many specialties year after year.
Magnet™ Recognition Program
For the past three review cycles (2008, 2013, and 2018), Hunterdon Medical Center has achieved Magnet™ designation for excellence in nursing by the American Nurses Credential Center’s (ANCC) Magnet Recognition Program®. ANCC is the largest and most prestigious nursing credentialing organization in the United States. Magnet™ designation is the highest honor given to hospital nursing. Only six percent of the nation’s hospitals have earned this prestigious award.
The Magnet™ Recognition Program was developed by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) to recognize health care organizations that provide nursing excellence and adherence to national standards for the organization and delivery of nursing services. Applicants undergo a rigorous evaluation that includes extensive interviews and a review of nursing services.
Hunterdon Medical Center is one of only 300 hospitals in North America to be designated a NICHE hospital and one of only 10 hospitals in New Jersey to have earned both Magnet™ and NICHE status. We are proud to carry the NICHE designation as a sign of our commitment to holistic care for our older adults.
NICHE stands for Nurses Improving Care to Healthsystem Elders and is the only national designation indicating a hospital’s commitment to elder care excellence. The program puts evidence-based principles and tools into the hands of nurses at the bedside.
Hunterdon Happening List
The Hunterdon Happening List winners from 2021 that are part of our healthcare family are:
Hunterdon Healthcare for “Best Hospital” and “Best Place to Work”
Hunterdon Pediatric Associates for “Best in Pediatrics”
Dr. Yaser Elnahar, MD, Hunterdon Cardiovascular Associates for “Best Cardiologist”
Hunterdon Family Medicine at Riverfield for “Best Family Medicine”
Hunterdon Family & Sports Medicine at Hopewell Valley for “Best Sports Medicine”
Ms. Kathleen Seelig, Corporate Director of Public Relations and Jason VanDiver, Chief Marketing & Communications Officer for “Best Services for Public Relations”
Kim Blanda, Hunterdon Regional Community Health Clinical Liaison for “Best Power Person”. Congratulations to our Team!
Accreditation by the Joint Commission for the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (TJC)
The Joint Commission for the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations sets the standards by which health care quality is measured in America and around the world. It is an independent, not-for-profit organization that accredits and certifies over 17,000 health care organizations and programs. To maintain and earn accreditation, organizations must have an extensive on-site review by a team of TJC health care professionals, at least once every three years.
Hunterdon Medical Center Awarded Platinum Award for “Outstanding Achievement”
The New Jersey Smart Workplaces Program (NJSW) is a statewide recognition program that lauds employers who demonstrate leadership by providing quality commuter benefits to their employees. Employers are recognized at one of four levels of achievement: bronze, silver, gold, or platinum, based upon the level of activity at the worksite. Hunterdon Medical Center was awarded the Platinum Award for “Outstanding Achievement” in creating programs that provide and promote commuting options for employees.
Hunterdon Medical Center Awarded the 2019 Silver Award in the New Jersey Antimicrobial Stewardship Recognition Program
Hunterdon Medical Center was recognized with the 2019 Silver Award in the New Jersey Antimicrobial Stewardship Recognition Program through the New Jersey Department of Health. There was a rigorous application process reviewing the capacity in which institutions were able to meet the CDC core elements for stewardship and were awarded based on the level of difficulty of interventions. Hunterdon Medical Center has prioritized judicious antimicrobial use as part of our goals and standard of care for over a decade.
Wound Care Center Recognized with Two Awards for Excellence in Wound Healing
The Hunterdon Wound Healing Center was awarded the Robert A. Warriner III, M.D., Center of Excellence award and the Center of Distinction Award which recognizes a Center that meets the highest quality standards. This Center received these awards because it has achieved patient satisfaction rates over 92% and a healing rate of greater than or equal to 91% in less than 30 median days, among other quality standards. The Center was awarded this prestigious honor by Healogics, Inc., the nation’s largest provider of advanced wound care services.
Additional Awards & Recognitions
- On Thursday, December 17th at 10:30 a.m., Hunterdon Healthcare received the COVID-19 vaccine from Pfizer to begin vaccinating employees.
- In 2020, Hunterdon Medical Center has received American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines®-Stroke Gold Plus and Target: Stroke Honor Roll Elite Quality Achievement Award. The award recognizes the hospital’s commitment to ensuring stroke patients receive the most appropriate treatment according to nationally recognized, research-based guidelines based on the latest scientific evidence.
- Hunterdon Medical Center Makes the New Jersey Department of Health Influenza Honor Roll. Hunterdon Medical Center was recently awarded the 2018-2019 New Jersey Influenza Honor Roll because of its stellar employee influenza vaccine program and compliance rates.
- In 2018 and 2019 Hunterdon Medical Center was awarded Platinum Recognition for activities to increase enrollment in their state registry as organ, eye, and tissue donors via the “National Hospital Organ Donation Campaign” – From the U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services and Health Resource & Service Administration.
- Listed as a Top Hospital in Inside New Jersey Magazine. Hunterdon Medical Center was also recognized for the treatment of breast cancer, prostate cancer, hip and knee repair, heart failure, stroke, and neurological disorders.
- 2018 – Fitch rating upgraded to an A+ based on Hunterdon Medical Center’s improved profitability, dominant market share, low debt burden, and solid equity.
- Hunterdon Medical Center designated a Primary Stroke Center.
- Received the Joint Commission’s Gold Seal for Hunterdon Healthcare’s Palliative Care Program.
- Latino Outreach Program recognized at the 89th Annual Meeting of the New Jersey Hospital Association for Hunterdon Healthcare’s Latino Outreach Initiative.
- Received national recognition of the Antibiotic Stewardship Program identified by the American Hospital Association as Best Practice.
- National accreditation of the postgraduate yearly Pharmacy Residency Program.
- Hunterdon Medical Center is one of 12 hospitals participating in the Physician Hospital Collaboration Demonstration, a Medicare project that will evaluate gainsharing as an innovative method that aims to reduce healthcare costs while improving quality care.
- Hunterdon Regional Breast Care Program is accredited by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers.
- Hunterdon Medical Center’s Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program is accredited by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation.
- Cardiac Testing Department is accredited by the Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Echocardiography Laboratories.
- Accredited by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer-Hunterdon Regional Cancer Center.
- Accredited by the Medical Society of New Jersey as an Intrastate Provider of Continuing Medical Education for Physicians.
- Accredited by the College of American Pathologists.
- Certification by the American Heart Association.
- Certificate of Recognition from the American Diabetes Association.
- Fox Chase Cancer Center Partner.
- Beckers Hospital Review listed Hunterdon Medical Center among its top 45 hospitals in the country with the lowest heart failure readmission rate – 18.5%. The national average is 21.5%.
- Platinum designation as New Jersey Smart Workplaces.
- The National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) has granted Patient-Centered Medical Home certification at the highest level to many Hunterdon Healthcare System practices.
- Emergency PTCA Door to balloon time under 60 minutes.
- Named a Magnet Hospital by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
- Accredited by the American Society of Health System Pharmacists.
- On average, Hunterdon Medical Center recycles 298.71 tons, which equates to 3,356.93 lb per patient bed.
Hunterdon Healthcare offers an array of educational events, including childbirth, healthy living and fitness classes.LEARN MORE
Health and Wellness Centers
Where health and fitness meet to help you stay healthy at every age.LEARN MORE
Health Resource Library
Hunterdon Healthcare is pleased to provide our website visitors with this comprehensive Health Resource Library.LEARN MORE