Ornish Breakfast Quinoa Recipe
Serving Size: 2/3 cup
Prep: 5 min
Cook: 15 min
Ready: 20 min
Quinoa (KEEN-wah), a popular “superfood” from the Andes, is usually served in savory side dishes and salads. But it also makes an excellent warm breakfast porridge that’s gluten-free and high in healthy plant protein and fiber. Use white quinoa (rather than red or black) in this recipe for best results. Powdered stevia adds a little sugar-free sweetness; however, you can also enjoy this porridge on its own.
1 CUP white quinoa
2 CUPS water
1/3 CUP golden or dark raisins
PINCH fine sea salt
1 ½ CUPS unsweetened soy milk
2 TEASPOONS vanilla extract
½ TEASPOON powdered stevia (optional)
½ TEASPOON pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon (see Chef’s Note)
PINCH fine sea salt
1. Using a fine-mesh strainer, rinse quinoa well.
2. In a small 1½ quart heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine quinoa, water, raisins, and pinch of salt. Over high heat, bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until all water is absorbed, about 10 to 15 minutes.
4. While quinoa is cooking, whisk together the soy milk, vanilla, stevia if using, pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon, and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl.
5. Stir soy milk mixture into the quinoa. Let simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture is heated through, 1–2 minutes. Divide into 6 bowls. Sprinkle with additional pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon. Serve warm.
Pumpkin Pie Spice is a blend of cinnamon, ginger, and cloves (and sometimes allspice, nutmeg, and/or mace, too), that’s sold in the spice section of most supermarkets. If you don’t have it on hand, you can make your own using 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger, 1/8 teaspoon cloves, a pinch of nutmeg, and a pinch of allspice.
White quinoa (1 CUP)
Unsweetened soy milk (1 ½ CUPS)
Golden or dark raisins (1/3 CUP)
Powdered stevia (OPTIONAL)
Pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
For more Ornish recipes, visit the online Recipedia.
Hunterdon Healthcare offers an array of educational events, including childbirth, healthy living and fitness classes.LEARN MORE
Health and Wellness Centers
Where health and fitness meet to help you stay healthy at every age.LEARN MORE
Health Resource Library
Hunterdon Healthcare is pleased to provide our website visitors with this comprehensive Health Resource Library.LEARN MORE