Hunterdon Medical Center Receives the 2017 Women’s Choice Award® as one of America’s Best Hospitals for Heart Care
Honor recognizes comprehensive care to treat heart disease, nation’s leading cause of death for women
Hunterdon Medical Center has been named one of America’s Best Hospitals for Heart Care by the Women’s Choice Award®, America’s trusted referral source for the best in healthcare. The award signifies that Hunterdon Medical Center is in the top 9% of 4,789 U.S. hospitals offering heart care services.
According to the American Heart Association, heart disease is the No. 1 killer of American women, causing 1 in 3 deaths each year—approximately one woman every minute. What’s often thought of as a “man’s disease” strikes more women than men, and is more deadly than all forms of cancer combined.
“With such strong prevalence of heart disease, every woman should know where to find the very best heart care before she ever has an incident,” said Delia Passi, founder and CEO of The Women’s Choice Award. “We help women by conducting evidence-based research and recognizing the hospitals that could one day save their lives.”
The methodology used to select Hunterdon Medical Center as one of America’s Best Hospitals for Heart Care is unique in that it evaluates:
- The number of cardiac/vascular services offered. Recognized hospitals must offer at least six of the following services: Cardiac Catheterization Lab, Cardiac Rehabilitation, Cardiac Surgery, Carotid Stenting, Coronary Interventions, Electrophysiology, Vascular Interventions, Vascular Surgery and Coronary Intensive Care (CCU). Hunterdon Medical Center offers all, but cardiac surgery.
- 30-Day mortality and readmission rates for heart attack and failure
- Patient recommendation ratings on the Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS) Survey
- Primary research about women’s healthcare preferences
No other health concern affects more people in Hunterdon County than cardiovascular disease. It is the County’s leading cause of death and its incidence is on the rise due, in part, to the growing number of area residents between the age of 45 and 64 – a time in life in which the onset of cardiovascular disease is most likely to occur.
Hunterdon Medical Center’s Norman and Denise Guilloud Cardiovascular Center opened in 2015 and includes:
- Two cardiac catheterization labs providing emergency coronary intervention, carotid and peripheral angioplasty
- Cardiac critical care unit
- Twenty private patient rooms
- Expanded space for cardiac imaging and intervention and the creation of specialty clinics in congestive heart failure and stroke
- State-of-the-art cardiopulmonary rehabilitation services, which includes the Dean Ornish Program for Reversing Heart Disease
Hunterdon Healthcare provides a broad range of cardiovascular services under the expert guidance of eleven board-certified cardiologists. With timing so critical in heart attack and stroke events, Hunterdon Medical Center’s active and reputable angioplasty program is a great benefit to area residents. National guidelines recommend that heart attack patients receive emergency angioplasty within 90 minutes of arrival to a medical facility. Hunterdon Medical Center significantly exceeds this national standard, leading the way in advancing cardiac care in the community by providing heart attack patients with an average 60-minute “door-to-balloon-time.” This means patients experiencing a heart attack will receive emergency angioplasty within 60 minutes of entering the emergency room.
Hunterdon Healthcare offers an array of educational events, including childbirth, healthy living and fitness classes.LEARN MORE
Health and Wellness Centers
Where health and fitness meet to help you stay healthy at every age.LEARN MORE
Health Resource Library
Hunterdon Healthcare is pleased to provide our website visitors with this comprehensive Health Resource Library.LEARN MORE